Nothing stresses a home owner
than finding cracks in his floor or even the mere idea that his house will be
coming down real quick. Building or buying a house is a pretty huge investment
and this calls for proper maintenance. It is common for objects to deteriorate
with time and a house being an object, it is prone to this. This could be the
effect of ice, poor soil compaction, plumbing leaks among others. Worry not for
foundation problems can be repaired.
solve foundation problems, one first needs to understand the structure of the
foundation. Slab foundations and pier or beam foundations react differently to
foundation movement. Also repair of houses with basements would be different
from the normal one. Below we discuss on seven ways on how to repair foundation
density polyurethane foam.
Technicians inject the foam in a checkerboard grid approximately six foot on center in the affected area. It is relatively cheap and repairs the problem faster. It is important to perform plumbing tests prior to the foam injection to ensure there are no leaks and the foam, therefore, would not leak into the water.
– This method is used where the foundation is concrete and what it typically does is that it seals a foundation crack against water entry.
– If you suspect that water leaks are the root cause of your foundation problems, you can contact a plumber to fix the issue.
– If you live in an area that rains a lot, it is important to have a foundation drainage system, or even go the extra mile and install a surface drain, moves a lot of water preventing accumulation of water. Or use of a French drain which redirects smaller amounts of water.
piers take less time and disturb less landscape, a proven underpinning solution
for foundation repair.
best on foundation settling this is the case where one side of your house is
lower than the other. If so, your foundation may need to be lifted and interior
or exterior piers installed. These are placed around the perimeter of your
foundation in order to raise it or else installed in the interior of your
structure. Repair as soon as possible for what might start as only a small dip
on the side of the house might end up being a very large problem. Cracks
resulting from foundation problems are generally vertical. Professional foundation
repair service that AbryBros provides would solve this problem.
Steps during installation of steel piers;
i) Ground is excavated for installation of piers around foundation.
ii) Foundation bracket would be mounted for the piering system.
iii) Installation of the push piers.
iv) Weight of structure transferred to the steel piers.
involves strengthening the soil to give it more stability. This is done by
hammering steel bars into the soil.
i) Drilling into the soil. Where “nail” would be placed.
ii) Depth of the hole is measured.
iii) Nail is inserted into the drilled hole.
soil nails are placed in an evenly spaced geometric patterns and they develop
the pullout resistance. The geometric system of soil nail placement creates an
internally reinforced soil mass that is stable.
of foundation problems are caused by soil failure and stabilizing the soil
therefore is more than an effective method.
Work well for exterior foundation repair and interior slab repairs.
– Used especially when it is necessary to resist a tension or a compressive force.
– Helical piers look like a large screw. They are used for extra support to porches, steps and chimneys.
– They are a permanent solution to foundation problems.
– Can be used in any type of weather and can even support structure on weak or wet soil.
plates welded to shaft. Plate diameters increase from bottom of the shaft
upward. The plates may end up with a pier cap embedded into a concrete
Concrete pier foundation repair.
was originally preferred before the invention of hydraulic driven steel pier.
They are a more permanent solution to foundation problems.
expensive mode of repair. Though first time installation is cheap.
They can be in two forms:
a) Pressed concrete pilings – The concrete has already being cured and only involves installation. At time use of a steel, the leader is used to achieve greater depth while pouring water. Preferred on repairing the foundation.
b) Poured concrete piers. The piers are drilled up to about ten feet. Cure time before foundation leveling is 10 days.
the use of deep foundation friction piles constructed using high strength steel
casings. This enables the transfer of some of the pressure put on them to the
soil around them. The friction creates an adhesive effect where the pile and
i) Creating small diameter drilled and grouted friction piles.
ii) Installation of hollow bars via injection bored method.
iii) Pumping hollow bars with a cement grout mixture.
iv) Anchor drilled to grout
Carbon fiber strips
Average repair typically takes two to three days. Has incredible strength. Can be painted over hence low visibility.
for repair on walls with minor cracks or those that have bowed inward.
– Work best on concrete walls.
– Paint should be removed where the straps are to be set.
– Should not be placed apart more than four times the thickness of the wall.
main problem of using the carbon fiber straps is that it doesn’t limit the
movement of the wall below or above where straps are placed.
In theory, repairing a foundation is quite simple as it involves lifting the house, replacing the old foundation with a new one and letting the house rest on the new foundation. This is not the case practically though as it involves a lot of factors, engineering data and study. Remember that foundation repairs need to be tackled by experts. This might turn out costly. Ask for cost estimate from the contractors and you can compare with those of different foundation repair companies. Look for ones with warranties as this would not have a cost implication in the future should the problem arise once more.
1. Ron, H. (Dec 21, 2015) Common signs of foundation problems. Retrieved from https://hdfoundationrepair.com/how-to-identify-8-common-signs-of-foundation-problems-in-houses-or-commercial-buildings/
2. David Edens. (Aug 25, 2016)Types of foundation repair. Retrieved from https://www.angieslist.com/articles/6-types-foundation-repair.htm
3. Matthew.S. (Mar 29, 2015), How much does it cost to Replace a Foundation? Retrieved from https://www.uswaterproofing.com/learning-center/how-much-does-it-cost-to-replace-a-foundation
4. Concrete pier foundation. Retrieved from https://www.granitefoundationrepair.com/foundation-repair-methods/concreete-pier-foundation-repair/
The post 7 Ways On How To Repair The Foundation of Your Home appeared first on Kravelv.